Pages

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Ruthibelle and The Ras

I met a Rasta man one day at University. He was doubling on the job: selling jewellery and hitting on me. (I find it funny that whenever I wear long, flair skirts and ethnic-looking jewelery, Rastas always harass me to no ends...) So anyway, I was there listening to this man tell me how royal I looked and how he was searching for a beautiful young empress like me to bring Jah light into his life (always the YOUNG empress they want... I never hear any of them pitch that speech to an old empress yet!) when he asked me my name. I said, "Ruth."

He stopped, looked at me in something akin awe, and then exclaimed, "But my girl, you annuh just the root, you a the trunk and the branch and the whole tree...!!"

To this day, I still wondering if that was a compliment... It's still the funniest pick-up line I've ever heard...

10 comments:

Tom_Gurl said...

Definitely a compliment!! lmao!!

ruthibel said...

good to know TG, I was wondering...

Anonymous said...

LOL! I love this. Mi nah lie, de rass did full a lyrics.

Wuthering said...

a compliment & with out a doubt his pick up line. although, unless Ruth means Root, pretty out there!

Will said...

wow... now that's lyrics for you... i wish i could come up with lines like that... of course, the only ruth i know is one of my granny's best friends and she has been dead for several years... dammit...

i wonder what he would've said if your name was shaniqua or darlene???

Annie Paul said...

he would've said But Empresss yu a not jus de darlin', you a di dumplin', di yam and di shiny ackee seed too seen?!

ruthibel said...

lol Annie, I think you're right!!

too bad you wont get to sue that line, Will

Lucy, Ruth, Root = same difference in Jamaican patois

J.M said...

Hmm, to be the whole tree...all sorts of profound meanings in that!

The ras was really rootin' for you.

Unknown said...

Jah know, when a rastaman run lyrics like dat - and some o' dem a really expert me a tell yuh! - it just make me feel like me walking on air, for that second, this one man has restored my heartfelt respect for all jamaican men. Until me reach di nex' corner an' affi cut-yeye pass di nex' wutless rass who a tell me bout me whi'che part...

Aurie said...

ah big man pick up line dat man!!